Friday, April 18, 2008

Almost One Year Later

Today I had some time alone and I started to think about my life and my past experiences. I realized that one year ago, believe it or not, I was in my fifth month living at a juvenile behavioral institution.

Two and a half years ago, around the age of 13/14, I started to involve my self in a pretty bad lifestyle. I won't go into details, but it led me to some not so great places in my life, hence the first paragraph.

So, today I was thinking about my life at that point and how much of a different person I am now. It is incredible how much I have matured and learned in only one year. I feel as if a went through a complete metamorphosis and am I totally different person. I don't think I have ever been through as many experiences in my life then I have in the last year (good and bad). Although I experienced a lot of suffering and hardships in this last couple years, especially in the institution, I do not regret any of it. The reason I am a totally different person (in a good way), is because of those experiences. It has taught me so much and I feel like if I got through that, then I can get through anything.

I contacted a friend that I was close to in the institution and we talked about our transformation as people and how much we still have to grow. It has made both of us stronger people and I seriously think that what I went through was the best thing that has ever happened to me. If it wasn't for the mistakes I made and the people who supported me, and even the people who screwed me over (I say that because it showed me who my true friends were.), I wouldn't be the person I am today. In fact, I doubt you would even be reading this, or any of my blog, because I wouldn't be here writing it.

My life hasn't in anyway been terrible, and most of my problems were self created, but life does throw difficult situations at you, no matter who you are or where you come from. And I believe that those difficult situations are what shapes us as humans; it's what makes us who we are.

So you can make plans for the future or you can live for the now, but either way, you will go through hard times. And instead of looking at it as a bad thing and that you will never get past it, try and think of how much stronger you are becoming and the greater knowledge you are gaining. The more experiences people go through in life, depending on how they deal with it of course, the greater advantages they will have.

Today I have hope for the future; knowing that I'm only sixteen and have come this far, I am ready for what the future has in store for me.

5 comments:

Ashley said...

Its crazy how much you change and grow from the situations life hands you. I remember looking back on my life when I was sixteen, and noticing how much I had grown in such a short amount of time. Now, looking back few years ago when I was 16, I feel like I've grown even more. Each year I feel a little older, a lot more mature, and much happier with my life.
We all have troubles in our lives, both self created and not. We lose people, we make stupid mistakes, and find ourselves in places we never wanted to be. The thing that truly matters is how we change and react to our circumstances. With each situation life hands us, we can choose to be either victims or survivors. The quality of our life is completely up to us.

I'm so glad that you feel like you've grown into a better person. I hope you continue to feel that way years from now, when you look back on your life.
~Ashley

aliqot said...

Just dropping by to say hi. How are you doing?

I reckon living means changing, but accepting who you were in the past.

'Decide what kind of world you want to live in and act accordingly.
Playing the blame game only does harm to ourselves and society.'

Richard L Franklin
I don't know who he is, but I like the quote.

Ashley said...

Where are you? ;)
I miss reading your posts!

Tyler said...

I'm glad to know there are people like you out there. I never thought you would be a person that was a juvenile delinquent. Where I'm from, most of the people that go into your previous direction are still there now. I don't know what they are thinking.

Poi people Filigree phoenix said...

Hey ham, thanks for your honesty and passion...keep on keepin on brave sir!
check my blog and join us at poi people if youre feeling it...i'll send you an invite
peace
She phoenix for poi people